DIY HAMPER – 5 TOP TIPS
5 Top Tips for creating your own food or gift hamper
Here at I Still Call Australia Home® we’ve got a lot of experience putting together beautiful, thoughtful gift hampers.
We thought we’d share our 5 top tips with you for making your own.
5 Top tips for making your own gift hamper or basket
- Think of a hamper theme that will suit your recipient/s, and how you want the products within the hamper to work well together (e.g. wine, cheese, crackers, and a great chutney are a good combination; but cheese and chocolates on their own don’t go together). It’s often good at this point also think of a colour set – the best hampers have products in them that have similar colours. Examples of themes are ‘Pamper Hamper’, ‘Luxury Treats’, ‘Breakfast in Bed’.
- Once you’ve got your theme and colour base, select what products that will go in your hamper before selecting what it will go in. I always find some sort of keepsake (e.g. tea towel, bowl, cup & saucer, tea pot, soap dish) is a great compliment to food or beauty products
- Check the use-by date on any perishable food products in your hamper – make sure they’re still within expiry and if possible have a few months left.
- Select a suitable holder for your hamper that is going to comfortable fit your products – Linen basket trays, attractive carry bags, or picnic basket are great options. At this point, also ensure you have sufficient ‘void fill’ in the hamper – i.e. wood wool, kraft paper, shredded paper or noodle fillers.
- “MILG’ – or Make it look good! Go for the Personal touch with beautiful ribbon (your recipients favourite colour?) and a card that reflects you really thought about the recipient and what they’d enjoy when putting together the hamper. As well as your personal message, tell them the theme of the hamper and a little bit about the products too!
Need a little inspiration? It’s not always as easy as it looks to pull something off that not only has great products in it, but looks great too. Here’s some images of thoughtful gift baskets for you to get some inspiration!